Vital records are cataloged at both the county and town/township levels.
Search first at the county level. Then proceed to the town/township level.
- Click Catalog in the menu above the search boxes.
- Type the name of county followed by a comma and the name of the state in the
Place Name box
(e.g., Perry, Ohio). NOTE: Do not type the word
"County." Be sure to spell out the state name. Do not abbreviate.
- Select the correct location from the drop-down list.
NOTE: The State is always listed first, the County second, and the Town/Township third.
- Click the Search button.
- Review the categories of available records for the county.
Click on ONE of the following:
Vital Records, Probate Records (for wills), Land and Property (for deeds), or Church Records.
- Review the results.
- Click any records of interest.
- Review the notes about the film.
- Write down the microfilm number or print the page.
- Visit your local Family History Center and order the microfilms.
Back to the Tutorial